Thursday, May 15, 2008

Call for Entries! West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen

West End Arts announces our kick-off event: West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen, a showcase of visual arts created by artists living or working in the West End. We welcome original submissions of every visual art form, including paintings, drawings, photography, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, glass, and wood.

For details, visit West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Call for Entries Poster

Here's the "Call for Entries" poster. I've updated since the first posting for accuracy and better wording, with a watercolor treatment for the image.

Call for Entries poster.pdf

It's black and white for cheaper home printing, and letter size because of common bulletin board constraints. Designed for borderless printing.

Here's a 2 up version for smaller bulletin boards

2 up Call for Entries poster.pdf


Pilney Proposal to the Boones

Here's the PDF of the Pilney Proposal:



Tuesday, May 13, 2008

May 12, 2008 Steering Committee Minutes

Tonight's focus: Preparing for the Show!

I. Locale Update
The Pilney is a go. Tenant is fine with our plan to use the space for our show during business hours and on weekends.
We need to draft a proposal for The Pilney's owners. Details below.

II. Budget
Nance circulated the budget proposal that was submitted to Thune/City Council. The proposal was blessed by steering cmte. members and Betty at Fort Road Fed.
We hope to have the budget money in time to do publicity for the show, but if it doesn't come through in time for us, we will have to get creative. (Roaming sandwich boards, heavy e-mail/word of mouth, radio spots, press releases, Community Reporter, etc.)

III. WEA letterhead and business cards
Jason is working on these.
Letterhead will need to specify West End Arts as "A Committee of the Fort Road Federation."

IV. Show Setup: To Do List
Beg, borrow, steal:
  • Pedastals for sculptures (from Thune, Nance, Jason)
  • Lighting equipment (light fixtures, c-clamps, extension cords, etc.)
  • Movable walls (from Thune, Nance)
Solicit volunteers to:
  • Select pieces to show. (Mary, Virginia, Paulette)
  • Gather donations of cups, napkins, beverages. (Halle) (Our show poster can include a thank you to businesses who donate.)
  • Help hang show.
  • Help with fundraising at the show (producing/selling t-shirts, soaps, caps, bumper stickers, magnets, key chains).
  • Line up volunteer musicians for venue-appropriate music (probably acoustic, small-scale, not minding being background music).
IV. Proposal for Pilney Draft Text
Proposal for West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen Show

To take place in the ground floor/open space of the Pilney building, organized and staffed by volunteers of West End Arts.

Pilney building owners agree to provide West End Arts volunteers access to the show space at the following dates and times.
Show dates: Saturday, July 12, 2008-Saturday, August 2, 2008
Opening reception: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 6-10pm
Open to the public: Thursdays through Sundays, 1-5pm

Art drop-off dates: Sunday, July 6, 3-6pm and Wednesday, July 9, 1-4pm

Show preparation dates: Saturday, July 5 through Saturday, July 12 between 9am and 5pm

Art pick-up dates: Wednesday, August 6, 1-4pm and Saturday, August 9, 3-6pm

West End Arts volunteers and Pilney building owners will arrange a date and time to meet at the show space sometime between May 24 and June 21, 2008, so that:
  • West End Arts volunteers can assess the space (take measurements, determine the number and types of pieces we'll be able to display, determine equipment and lighting needs).
  • We can clarify how West End Arts volunteers will access the space as we prepare and conduct the show.
West End Arts volunteers understand that the Pilney building's tenant requires use of the space on weekday evenings, and agree to clear the space of artworks each afternoon before leaving the site.
West End Arts and Pilney building owners will agree upon a safe, out-of-the way area within the space in which to stow pieces during off-hours, from the date we begin receiving show pieces (July 6) through the date artists will pick up their pieces (August 9) (for example, the back of the room, a closet, etc.). If the tenant and/or building owners prefer, we can leave select pieces displayed during the length of the show (for example, paintings on the permanent walls or sculptures in the windows).

We thank you for your support of West End Arts!

Jason Gorski

V. Call for Artists
Our schedule:
Finalize details for call for artists: By May 24
Begin circulating/posting call for artists: Saturday, May 24 (poster format: 1/2-legal size and legal size)
Submissions due: Saturday, June 21
Selection period: Sunday, June 22-Sunday, June 29

Draft Text to include on blog:
West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen
Call for Entries

West End Arts, a committee of the Fort Road Federation, is a newly-formed group of artists, neighbors, and friends organized to promote and foster arts in the West End, by encouraging and connecting artists, and extending arts into the community through exhibitions, live performances, and educational outreach.

Our kick-off event is West End Arts Scene-and-be-Seen, a showcase of visual arts created by artists living and working in the West End.
We welcome submissions of every visual art form, including but not limited to paintings, drawings, photography, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, glass, and wood.
Your submission packet must include:
(1) Cover letter with:
Your name, e-mail and/or postal address, and phone number
A brief description of your connection to the West End (whether you are a resident, business owner, or employee in the neighborhood),
(2) Digital images (submitted online) or photos/photocopies (submitted by mail, 8.5 x 11 inches maximum) of up to three artworks, with actual dimensions specified. These items will not be returned to you.
(3) An artist's statement to be displayed alongside selected work(s) with:
Your name
Title of artwork(s) and (optionally) prices
Up to 100 words (about three short paragraphs) describing yourself and/or your artworks.
Note: If you're offering your artworks for sale, you must take full responsibility for negotiating with potential buyers, collecting payment, and delivering artworks. West End Arts does not represent individual artists or buyers.

Entries due: Saturday, June 21
Selection period: Sunday, June 22-Sunday, June 29
Show dates: Saturday, July 12, 2008-Saturday, August 2, 2008
Opening reception: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 6-10pm
Open to the public: Thursdays through Sundays, 1-5pm

Due to space limitations, the selection committee may elect to display one or more submissions at a future event.
If your works are selected, you'll be required to:
  • Deliver your artwork(s) to the Pilney Building, [address], Sunday, July 6, from 3-6pm or Wednesday, July 9, 1-4pm.
  • Sign a waiver releasing West End Arts and the Fort Road Federation from liability should your artworks be lost, stolen, or damaged during preparations for the show, for the duration of the show, and until the artworks are returned to you.
  • Pick up your artwork(s) at the Pilney Building Wednesday, August 6, 1-4pm and Saturday, August 9, 3-6pm
Submit entries by e-mail westendarts(at)gmail(dot)com or by U.S. Mail to the attention of:
West End Arts
Fort Road Federation

For details, see or e-mail westendarts_at_gmail_dot_com.

VI. Other Appeals to Artists
  • Send Maxine call for artists to publish in Community Reporter (Rachel)
  • Ask Maxine how much it would cost to do an insert in the Community Reporter (for show) (Rachel)
  • Rake Magazine (online) has a Call for Artists page. We can send a listing to cristina(at)rakemag(dot)com.

VII. Action Items
Nance/Jason/Anyone will bring templates of insurance/waiver for selected artists to sign.
Rachel will draft Pilney Proposal.
Rachel will draft call-for-artist
Jason will finish call-for-artists poster.
Nance will talk to Betty about Fort Road Federation insurance, and confirm it's okay for artists to send submissions to us in care of Fort Road Federation office.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Steering Committee Meeting Venue Change: The Artist's Quarter!

Newsflash #1: Jason just spoke with Chris, from The Pilney. Chris spoke to the tenant, and the tenant is cool with our plans for the show. Woo hoo!

Newsflash #2: Steering Committee Meeting Venue Change: The Artist's Quarter!
From Jason:
Last minute change of plans.

I want to meet at the Artist's Quarter at 7 tonight instead of my house, because they have an open mic night and we can meet before they start and than see what's going on. Also I would like to talk to the hosts about letting WEA sponser a few open mikes for fund-raising and PR. I'm interested in doing this because I am a performer besides being a visual artist. Our business can be conducted for the gallery show and we can start doing a little outreach for a performing project and have fun at the same time! Also Rachel and I met some great Jazz artists this weekend who are in the hood who would be great for performing for the gallery show.


Need directions to the Artist's Quarter in downtown St. Paul? See the AQ's Web site.
Halle & Nance have confirmed that they can meet us at this new locale. Please help spread the word to Heather & Lia & Marty!

Monday, May 5, 2008

May 12 & June 4 Meeting Announcements

Steering Committee
When: Monday, May 12, 7pm
Where: Chez Gorski
Details to be e-mailed. If you have not attended a steering committee meeting before but are interested in helping plan our inaugural art show, please leave a comment on this post, and we'll contact you!

General Meeting
When: Wednesday, June 4. 7-8pm, business; 8-9pm mixer/potluck.
Where: SOKOL (tentatively)
* Notify Maxine if we change meeting time or location so she can update the Community Report calendar announcement.

May 5, 2008 Meeting Minutes

I. Inaugural Show Plan Update from Steering Committee
Jason spoke to the owners of the Pilney building and they're very open to the idea of participating in our show. Someone will be renting the downstairs space over the summer, but only in the evenings, and if the renter is amenable to the idea, we could use the space during the afternoon and on the weekends. Jason is checking back with the Pilney owners on Thursday for an update.
The steering committee will create a written proposal for the Pilney owners that outlines our tentative plans.
Show dates: Saturday July 12 through Saturday August 2
Opening reception: Saturday July 12, 6pm-10pm
Open to the public: Thursday-Saturday, 1-5pm
Staffing: Volunteers during reception and public viewing hours
Miscellaneous: Movable walls on loan from Dave Thune, lighting for back walls, donation jar
We are most enthused about this space: its large windows easily viewed from the sidewalk & street, its manageable size.
When the show is all done, the Pilney owners might even be interested in leaving some art hanging on the walls, and rotating pieces over time. They like the idea of displaying art.

Update on other venues, just for everyone's info:
  • Brewery: The Cohen's suspect that Kreitzer will not be interested. Misgivings about liability are likely.
  • St. Francis/St. James; Monroe; Four Seasons: Nance met with the Community Ed. person and all these schools are interested in partnering with us. We share that interest but don't feel that a school would be a good venue for our inaugural show. Post-show, we should follow up with these schools and initiate contact with Arts H.S., Visual Arts school, and Performing Arts school downtown.
  • As a sidenote, lot of people at the West 7th Business Association approached Nance and told her how excited they are about WEA! At the Fort Road Federation annual meeting, Rachel spoke with representatives from the Sholom Home and Mississippi Market, both of whom were hip to the idea of working with us on something.

Next Steering Committee Meeting: Monday, May 12, Chez Gorski, 7pm (details to be e-mailed)
We'll nail down particulars such as:
  • Template of waiver for artists to complete (Jason will look for a template online.) ("While reasonable care is taken to protect the art, neither West End Arts, nor the Fort Road Federation, nor the owners of the Pilney Building are liable for damage to or theft of the artworks you provide ...").
  • Insurance issues. Joe says we probably have liability coverage through the Federation; Nance says Pilney surely does and it's also pretty inexpensive to purchase such insurance for a one-time event.
  • Call for artists, selection criteria (if any)
  • Plan to have a list of pieces for sale and contact info for artists (no commissions for us, but donations gladly accepted)
  • Pick-up/drop-off times and locations for selected pieces, and installation dates
  • Lineup of talent (A few musical performances, a spoken word artist or two, taking up 5-20 minute blocks during the course of the evening--hand-selected by steering committee rather than as part of the call for artists? All TBD.)

II. Other WEA Updates and Input
  • Nance confirmed that we have non-profit bulk mailing rate through the Federation. We have to provide the money, is all. Nance will follow up with Betty.
  • Nance has the budget proposal all ready to go. She may add a few details about our tentative plans for the show, now that they're shaping up. She's passing it along to Betty to get printed on Fort Road Federation letterhead.
  • WEA logo: David Rich wonders if it would be helpful to incorporate W7 into the logo, so people would have an immediate sense of the place we're coming from (i.e., West 7th Street). The general consensus seems to be we'll stick with what we have now, since Jason took the initiative and everyone's pretty happy with the design. We've sort of tied ourselves to the "West End Arts" handle, but nothing's written in stone and additional logo designs are certainly welcome! :)

III. Partnering with SOKOL for Harvest Dance in October
Joe is attending a SOKOL board meeting on Thursday and they'll be discussing their events calendar and scheduling the Harvest Dance. Would WEA be interested in coordinating with SOKOL on this fundraising event? Discussion ensues.
  • It would get WEA's name out there to the community.
  • It'll be fun to get ourselves out there in a party atmosphere.
  • We'd get a share of the proceeds.
  • We could take advantage of the opportunity to promote ourselves as supporters of performing arts (not just visual arts), by coordinating live music for the event (for example). We would also be expected to volunteer as ticket sellers, concession workers, etc.
  • Joe assures us it's not that much work.
  • We're a new group with no track record and hesitate to commit to an event just yet.
  • Depending on how involved we get (e.g., putting out a call for musicians, selecting performers, etc.), it could be a lot of work. Will we all be burnt out from the show, will we be able to rustle up enough volunteers? We feel uncertain.
  • We have no money to contribute for publicity, supplies, etc. We don't want to commit to SOKOL and then end up letting them down because we have nothing solid to contribute.
  • We're not sure how closely this ties in with our mission.
IV. Socializing
Some artists in the community are less interested in planning events and more interested in just hanging out, like at a mixer once a quarter or something. We plan to have a business meeting next month, followed by a hang-out session/potluck.
Maxine will publish a meeting announcement in the Community Reporter calendar, and it'll mention the social hour as open to visual, performing, and literary artists.

V. Community Reporter interviews with artists
Maxine is interested in publishing interviews with local artists, ideally every month. If an artist will be showing work in the near future or participating in our show specifically, that would be an ideal candidate for an interview. Nance nominates Jason as interviewee number 1. Jason accepts.

VI. When next we meet ...
General Meeting
When: Wednesday, June 4. 7-8pm, business; 8-9pm social hour/potluck.
Where: SOKOL (tentatively)
* Notify Maxine if we change meeting time or location so she can update the Community Report calendar announcement.

Steering Committee
When: Monday, May 12, 7pm
Where: Chez Gorski
Details to be e-mailed.

There's way more

Okay, so those interested or involved in the visual arts are in the process of planning an exhibition of visual art. We know there are other westenders whose focus may be in another area: literary arts, music, dance, theater for example. There's no reason why folks into other disciplines can't put heads together and figure out more ways to connect and maybe bring work out into the community at the same time. Maybe not at the art show event but in another venue, at a different time. I invite everyone who would like to meet other neighbors within their own discplines to come to the monthly meetings. Afterall, there's more to this art thing than pictures on the wall. I'd like to suggest that the meetings be more than just about planning events--that we make time for connecting and getting to know one another as neighbors and artists and writers and musicians, etc.